The Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural development (FMARD) in partnership with International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) of the United Nations is desirous of using part of the Credit to engage the services of a qualified candidate for the management and implementation of the FGN / IFAD-VCDP (VCDP AF1) programme in the nine (9) participating states of Anambra, Benue, Ebonyi, Enugu, Kogi, Nasarawa, Taraba, Niger and Ogun.
Consequently, Expression of Interest (EOI) is hereby solicited from qualified and interested candidates to participate in the FGN/IFAD Value Chain Development Programme (VCDP AF1) in the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Rural Infrastructure Engineer (ARIE)
Details of the Contract: Two-year contract, renewable based on satisfactory performance acceptable to FGN and IFAD
- The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) is implementing a three-year IFAD assisted Value Chain Development Programme Additional Financing (VCDP AF1), as a follow-up to the successful six (6) – year Value Chain Development Programme (VCDP), in nine (9) participating states (Anambra, Benue, Ebonyi, Enugu, Kogi, Nasarawa, Taraba, Niger and Ogun).
- The Programme’s goal is: “Rural Poverty reduced, food security increased and accelerated economic growth achieved.” The VCDP, which was approved for an IFAD loan of USD74.4 million in 2012, aimed to directly improve the livelihood of approximately 17,480 households (15,000 smallholder farmers, 1,680 processors and 800 traders) and to benefit indirectly approximately 22,000 households.
- In 2018, IFAD approved an Additional Financing (AF1) of USD 89.1 million to:
- Expand VCDP activities to three (3) new states-Enugu, Kogi and Nasarawa – and to a total of 57 Local Goverment Areas (LGAs) from 30 LGAs at the Mid-term Review (MTR) of VCDP, in the entire nine states; and
- Support the mainstreaming of issues that were not considered at the design of VCDP, consistent with national and IFAD policies; climate-smart agricultural practices; conflict mitigation as the conflict increases between farmers and herdsmen for land resources: nutrition and financial inclusion.
- The VCDP-AF1 focuses on enhancing the productivities and profitability of smallholder farmers (who cultivate not more than 5ha of land under rice/cassava) and mall/medium-scale agro-processors (with processing capacity of an average of 2MT/day for cassava and 4MT/day for rice) by improving their access to markets, and capacity to increase yield as well as add value to locally produced raw materials through improved processing and packaging.
- The programme is being implemented through three mutually reinforcing components; Agricultural Market Development, Smallholder Productivity Enhancement and Programme Management and Coordination.
- The Assistant Rural Infrastructure Engineer (ARIE) will work under the direct supervision of the Project Rural Infrastructure Engineer (RIE).
- The Assistant Rural Infrastructure Engineer (ARIE) will be assisting the Project Rural Infrastructure Engineer (RIE) in all aspects of rural infrastructure development activities related to smallholder farmers.
- Liaise with State/L GAS Engineering staff and other development partners) and include them throughout al rural infrastructure development activities to ensure sustainability, ownership and synergy among stakeholders.
- Mobilise relevant beneficiaries around each rural infrastructure development activity for sustainability and increased ownership
- Support in executing engineering/architectural surveys/designs, specifications (technical and socio environmental) and cost estimates for rural infrastructure (roads, storage/market/agro processing facilities, land development activities, small irrigation activities).
- Contribute to the preparation of manuals/guidelines and the execution of capacity building activities in the area of operation and maintenance for sustainability of all rural infrastructure to be developed by the project
- Monitor contractor’s construction program and method on the field, verifying that they are consistent with the implementation modalities (timeline and technical specifications).
- Monitor consultant’s service provision program and method on the ground, verifying that they are consistent with the implementation modalities (timeline and technical specifications).
- Assist in the process of measurements calculation for further payment and/or variation.
- Liaise with Project and/or States/LGAS Environmental Experts to ensure all related aspects are considered for sustained and environment friendly rural infrastructure are delivered
- Carry out any other functions assigned him/her by the Rural Infrastructure Engineer (RIE).
Reporting and Location:
- The position will be based in the NPMU office located in Abuja.
- The Assistant Rural Infrastructure Engineer (ARIE) will report directly to the Project Rural Infrastructure Engineer (RIE).
Qualifications and Work Experience
- First Degree in Civil Engineering, Rural Infrastructure or related area
- A minimum of five (5) years experience in construction and management of rural market infrastructure.
- He/She should be registered with relevant professional bodies such as COREN, NSE
- Experience working with Donor Assisted Projects.
- Good knowledge / experience of rural development challenges and dynamics.
Application Closing Date
30th July, 2022 (12 Noon).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expression of Interest (EOl) in ten (10) copies including one original and nine photocopies, properly sealed and clearly marked at the top right-hand cover “Expression of Interest (EOI) for the Recruitment of Officers under FGN / IFAD-VCDP project.” Each envelope should include a CV and an Application Letter with Cover Letter suited for the position being applied for.
The sealed envelope should be addressed and delivered to:
The Permanent Secretary,
Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development,
C / O Director, Projects Coordinating Unit (PCU),
No.1, Eldoret Close, Off Aminu Kano Crescent,
Wuse II – Abuja.
Note: Qualified and experienced women are encouraged to apply.