CARE International is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to saving lives and ending poverty. We work in over 94 countries around the world to provide over 1000 poverty-fighting development and humanitarian aid projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs funded Catalyzing Strengthened Policy Action for Healthy Diets and Resilience (CASCADE) project aims to improve food security and contribute to the reduction of malnutrition of women of reproductive age and women under the age of 5 years.
- The CASCADE project, implemented in a consortium with the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) will achieve this goal by increasing access to and consumption of healthy diets amongst household members particularly women of reproductive age and children under 5years and increasing resilience to economic and climate change related shocks and stressors of household members particularly women of reproductive age and children under five years.
- The role will provide efficient and safe transportation to CARE Staff and responsible for safe driving of CARE International vehicle for the conveyance of staff and Assets.
- The Driver will ensure cleaning, proper maintenance of vehicles in compliance with the Driver’s Handbook and safe driving standards, ensuring the vehicle is fueled in time for trips and the proper management of the fuel supply and maintenance for the assigned vehicle, this will all be done in accordance with CARE International policies and procedures.
- The core areas of performance for this position are: Customer orientation, quality and timeliness of support provided, Observance of policies and procedures and effective management of relationships.
Driving and Vehicle Maintenance:
- Maintain vehicle log and fuel consumption documentation.
- Prepare daily vehicle usage report, including trip use, mileage and fuel consumption.
- Providing weekly usage report of vehicles including total mileage, fuel consumption and expenditure.
- Maintain valid drivers’ license.
- Organize the transport of supplies directly to CARE designated location for use.
- Complete the logbook for everyday trips and complete the fuel log sheet for any fuel purchases.
- In consultation with the Logistics Officer Office, comply with vehicle allocation for staff.
- Keep the vehicle documentation up to date.
- Update the whiteboard once the movement plan is approved.
- Keep track of vehicle repairs ‘and servicing.
Control of Vehicles:
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are authorized in advance by the Line manager.
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are recorded in the logbook at the start and completion of journey, and sign by passenger appropriately
- Ensure that keys and vehicle documents are kept in secure place when the vehicle is not in use.
- Ensure that all passengers wear seats belts before driving the vehicle.
- Ensure that a waiver is filled and approved when carrying non CARE staff on project vehicle.
- Ensure that the Line Manager is immediately informed of any accidents/incidents and that the accident is reported to the police as appropriate and as soon as possible.
- Ensure that the vehicle is insured and in the event of an accident, make certain that proper procedures for insurance claims are followed.
- Ensure vehicle use policies and procedures are maintained
- Report on all near misses.
- Check the vehicle prior to its use every morning, fill the checklist and file it.
- Check on taking over a vehicle and ensure that the items listed on the vehicle checklist and in the vehicles tools and materials inventory are present and in functioning order.
- Check level of motor oil, water, tyre pressure, battery water and brakes to ensure that all are up to the standards required before any journey commences.
- The driver is to check for vehicle defects and damage to the vehicle and ensure that he/she reports them to his/her line manager promptly.
- Report and supervise all maintenance and repair needs of assigned vehicle.
- Check communication equipment and maintains communication while in the field with base (SSFP)
Cleanliness, Visibility and Others:
- The driver is responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is kept clean on the outside and inside at all times.
- He/She is to ensure CARE visibility protocols are adhered to at all times.
- Follow and abide by traffic rules, regulations, driver safety manual and any other instructions given by supervisor.
- Maintain all vehicle safety equipment, as per vehicle safety kit, in liaison with the Logistics Officer- including first aid kit, communication equipment and fire extinguisher, COVID-19 Kits.
- Work after duty hours or holidays/weekends as and when required and in prior notice from the line manager.
- Escalate complaints and feedback of a serious nature to program support officer and field office child safeguarding focal point.
- Contribute to CARE’s resource mobilization efforts
Other Responsibilities as Assigned
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Completion of Secondary School education. Formal drivers training with a valid driver’s license/certification to operate assigned vehicle following local rules and regulations.
- Three or more years of work experience as a Driver preferably in an international organization, NGOs or any humanitarian organization with a demonstrated safe driving record.
- Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans, trucks and other kinds of motorized vehicles.
- Experience in defensive driving is desirable
- English is a must and knowledge of local language is advantage.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, local roads/waterways and conditions, and security issues.
- Good understanding of transport services and ability to coordinate routes and schedules at night.
- Knowledge of driving/boat operating rules and regulations whichever applicable.
- Knowledge of safety standards and safety equipment (e.g. fire extinguishers, buoyant wearable safety devices, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to assess vehicles for mechanical fitness and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Knowledge of the vehicle loading capacity and other parameters.
- Knowledge and ability to use radio, email, telephone and other applications.
- Basic skills to assist in case of emergency, knowledge of first aid basic methods
- Ability to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy and tact.
Application Closing Date
3rd July, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CARE considers all applicants on the basis of merit without prejudice to race, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, color, national origin, marital status, or veteran status.
- There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Please note that CARE will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
- Qualified Women are strongly encouraged to apply.