African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Short Term Staff – Human Resource Assistant – ALSF
Position Number: 50086767
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: GS5
The Hiring Department
- The African Legal Support Facility (“ALSF” or “Facility”) is an international organization dedicated to providing legal advice and technical assistance to African countries in matters pertaining to creditor litigation and complex commercial transactions. The goal of the Facility is to remove asymmetric technical capacities and level the field of legal expertise among parties during litigation and negotiations.
- The ALSF’s main objectives include: (i) assisting African Governments in defending against litigation brought against them by vulture funds (and other such entities); (ii) providing legal advisory services to African Governments in the negotiation of complex commercial transactions relating to natural resource & extractive industries, infrastructure/PPPs, energy and sovereign debt (“Key Sectors”); (iii) capacity building for lawyers and Government officials related to the above; and (iv) development of knowledge products.
- The ALSF is hosted at the African Development Bank (AfDB), in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire and was established by Treaty on December 22, 2008. Its membership is open to (a) all AfDB member states; (b) other states; (c) AfDB; and (d) other international organizations or institutions. The ALSF currently has 60 members, comprising 53 countries and 7 international organizations.”
- The objective of the job is to ensure the smooth flow of work of the Human Resource (HR) Unit as related to HR, Protocol and HR archive activities
- Specifically, the purpose of the job is to provide HR support through a direct working relationship, to coordinate multiple and diverse HR work processes and activities under the Direct supervision of the Senior HR and Protocol Expert, thus ensuring that HR decisions are effectively carried out within the department, to serve, concerning HR Matters, as an intermediary between the Department Head, Division and staff of the department and the Facility as a whole and external audiences.
- The HR assistant will work in close collaboration with the Director, Administrative, Finance and Operations assistants.
Under the overall supervision of Senior Human Resource and Protocol Expert, the Human Resource Assistant performs the following:
- Assist the Senior HR and Protocol Expert in HR and secretarial services to include but not limited to scanning printing and filing (electronic and hard copy) documents.
- Assist the Senior HR and Protocol Expert in institutional capacity building services, such as preparation of training plans.
- File and archive of HR documentation in various hard copy and electronic systems.
- Liaise with internal and external clients on HR and Protocol matters.
- Assist in the preparation Consultants and Staff contracts.
- Assist in procurement and recruitment processes of consultants and Staff, by liaising with the relevant departments at the AfDB, including:
- Contacting candidates and asking for information and documents
- Supporting in screening such as preparing the longlist of candidates
- Checking eligibility conditions, to validate the conformity of supporting documents
- Process paper work including, archiving academic and professional qualifications and employee identification,
- Follow up and update the human and institutional capacity development needs and the Staff leave situations.
- Assist the Senior HR and Protocol Expert in Protocol matters by liaising with the Protocol Department of the Bank for all matters related to Protocol and administrative compliances as well as privileges, immunities and benefits matters
- Update HR databases to ensure correct templates and data is used for HR reports.
- Manage HR correspondence as required.
- Assist with internal HR reporting.
- Provide support during absences of other staff.
- Arrange internal HR events, meetings and conference calls and receiving visitors.
- Assiste with the arrangement of HR external events.
- Prepare and organize HR documents for management meetings and Board and GC meetings.
- Prepare and amend HR PowerPoint presentations (external and internal and ensuring appropriate ALSF’ templates are used).
- Performe any other HR and administrative tasks as assigned by the Senior HR and Protocol Expert or the Division Manager.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree or related disciplines in Human Resources, Administration, or a related field, supplemented by training in secretarial functions/administration/office management
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience in progressive positions, attached to an HR executive’s office, preferably in an international organization.
- Proficiency in written and verbal communication in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
- Good organizational skills, proactive and flexible attitude to work essential.
- Be able to work under pressure and to prioritize in the dynamic setting of an international and multicultural setting. Ability to work and cooperate with others from diverse background
- Handling speedily and efficiently internal and external requests.
- Ability to manage simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines
- Proficiency in the use of standard equipment (computer, fax, scanner, photocopies etc.)
- Demonstrable commitment to delivering excellent customer service focused reception, HR and administration services
- Be able to multitask, excellent problem-solving skills and high attention to details
- Effective communication; highly client oriented, good team working and relations
- Ability to operate effectively in a multicultural organization.
- Good innovative and creative approaches to activities to enhance performance and create added benefits for the clients and the organization
- Integrity and confidentiality
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP or other ERP systems would be a huge asset.
Application Closing Date
6th August, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position does not attract international terms and conditions.
- The post holder will be considered a short-term staff (local staff).