African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Division Manager – Knowledge Management, Outreach and Capacity Development
Position Number: 50092374
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL2
- The Board of Directors provides oversight and strategic direction to the African Development Bank Group. It is composed of Executive Directors who are representatives of the African Development Bank member countries.
- Specifically the Board is responsible for the conduct of the general operations of the Bank, and carries out the following functions:
- Determine the general structure of the Bank’s services
- Approve the financing policy and take decisions concerning loans, guarantees, equity investments and fund loans by the Bank;
- Determine the interest rates of loans and guarantee commissions;
- Approve the Bank’s operations program and administrative budget; (5) prepare the work of the Board of Governors ; and
- Submit accounts and annual reports, as well as the administrative budgets for the approval of the Board of Governors.
- The Board does its work through a series of permanent Committees that review and discuss policy and program documents and make appropriate recommendations to the whole Board.
- Independent Development Evaluation Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal report to the Board.
The Hiring Department / Division
- The AfDB’s Independent Development Evaluation (IDEV) reports to the AfDB’s Board of Directors.
- Its core mandate is to conduct independent evaluation studies; disseminate evaluation findings, lessons, and recommendations; develop and harmonize standards and practices; support evaluation capacity development together with partner agencies; and attest to the validity of both the processes and the results of the AfDB’s self-evaluation activities.
- To support the Bank Group in achieving greater development effectiveness, the independent evaluation function has adopted three core objectives:
- Contribute to enhanced learning in the Bank and regional member countries to improve current and future policies, strategies, programs, projects, and processes.
- Provide a basis for accountability to the public and to member countries by documenting the use and results of the Bank Group’s assistance.
- Promote an evaluation culture in the Bank and regional member countries to encourage a focus on development results, learning, and continuous quality improvement.
- IDEV.3 is responsible for knowledge management, dissemination, outreach and evaluation capacity development activities in line with the Bank’s quest to become a knowledge bank and assist in building and developing country monitoring and evaluation systems of Regional Member Countries.
- Within IDEV, the Division Manager IDEV3 is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and supervising the activities of the Division.
- In performing these duties, the Division Manager works closely with the IDEV Management Team and other relevant organizational units in the Bank in the preparation and implementation of work programs and the coordination of activities.
- The job is accountable for the delivery of the agreed annual work program and the supervision and development of staff under supervision.
- Effectiveness of the implementation of the work program is evaluated according to results delivered and in terms of the efficiency and economy in resource utilization.
Under the overall supervision of the Evaluator General, the Division Manager, IDEV3 will perform the following:
Leadership and Strategic Management:
- Lead, establish and ensure alignment of the division’s vision, goals, development strategies and key result areas in support of AfDB and IDEV goals.
- Lead the planning, implementation and supervision of Knowledge Management (KM), outreach, Evaluation Capacity Development (ECD), and learning work plans as well as monitor the quality of output and the achievement of long-term goals and annual objectives for the division. Ensure quality, timeliness, cost-efficiency and compliance with the relevant international standards and processes.
- Ensure that KM and ECD initiatives take into account the long-term strategic priorities of the Bank including inclusive growth, green growth, gender equality, regional integration, and private sector development, and give attention to developing RMC capacities and awareness.
- Lead and identify key priority areas of the division, providing inputs to the IDEV 3-year work-program as well as its annual review.
- Report to the Evaluator General on significant issues related to KM and ECD strategies, initiatives and processes, including potential improvements, and participate fully in IDEV’s management team.
- Provide leadership in professional and operational matters, taking the lead in contributing innovative approaches to KM and ECD.
Knowledge Management, Outreach and Evaluation Capacity Development:
- Implement the Department’s communication, KM and ECD strategy and annual action plan, as approved, including, and as appropriate, any special activities or initiatives requested by the Evaluator General and report at least quarterly on the status and results of the annual plan as well as the division’s resources.
- Lead the organization and implementation of disseminating evaluation findings, lessons and recommendations and outreach activities to various stakeholders (Board members, Bank Management and staff, Bank member countries and relevant outside parties, as appropriate) through a range of communication, outreach and engagement products and activities.
- Supervise the preparation and implementation of programs of evaluation capacity development activities aimed at (i) AfDB staff and (ii) AfDB Regional Member Countries, raising awareness of evaluation as a source of evidence for accountability as well as policy- and decision-making, and pursuing partnerships with Bank departments, peer IFIs and other national and international organizations, networks etc. active in the field of evaluation capacity development as appropriate.
- Ensure that all KM and ECD activities are conducted with full regard to due process, including principles of integrity, effectiveness, and efficiency, taking particular care to avoid any conflicts of interest involving staff undertaking evaluation activities.
- Undertake quality control of knowledge, communication and dissemination products and activities prepared by staff and consultants, ensuring revision of drafts where necessary, and ensure products and activities meet the relevant international quality standards.
- Keep up to date with trends and changes in KM and ECD policies, strategies and practices in the Bank, the region and outside, and propose new or changes to products, services, processes, and activities relating to the development and implementation of KM and ECD.
- Provide advice and recommendations to the Evaluator General on the appropriate actions to be taken to improve the quality of IDEV KM and ECD work and develop concepts or new approaches to improve and ensure the overall relevance, timeliness and utility of outputs.
- Develop and maintain contact with knowledge centres in the Bank (including the complex of the Chief Economist), relevant national organizations, and international institutions and evaluation fora to ensure coordination and dissemination of IDEV products and activities and represent IDEV in related meetings.
- Together with the relevant departments in the Bank, lead the maintenance of the Management Action Reporting System including reporting and coordinating across the Bank and IDEV.
- Lead the preparation of the IDEV Annual Report.
- Promote IDEV’s image as a centre of excellence for evaluation methods and findings and improve its visibility.
- Ensure effective day-to-day management of the division. This includes preparing the division work program, managing staff, program and budget resources, and executing administrative supervisory tasks, including staff performance requirements throughout the year. Pay particular attention to workload management, operations planning, adherence to policy, procedures, integrity, quality, timeliness, budget, human resource management and staff development.
- Allocate resources to the KM and ECD teams, arrange any relevant training and support required, and manage, monitor and report on resource utilization.
- Lead and participate in staff recruitment and promotion decisions.
- Manage the performance of teams and individuals, providing clear direction and regular feedback. Provide coaching and mentoring to teams and individuals.
- Ensure appropriate attention to the personal and professional development of staff, giving due attention to appropriate management of gender and diversity issues.
- Perform other additional duties as required.
Competencies (skills, experience and knowledge)
- Hold a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Economics, Development Studies, Political Science, International Relations, Public Administration, Public Relations, Knowledge Management, Communication, or other related field. Certification in Knowledge Management, Communications, and/or Capacity Development is a plus.
- Have a minimum of eight (08) years of relevant international professional experience in development work with three (03) years in a managerial capacity. Experience with knowledge management, communication and/or capacity development is desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of principles, methods and procedures of managing and sharing knowledge.
- Experience in identifying stakeholders and developing strategies to engage effectively with different groups of stakeholders, especially in multi-lateral development financial institutions.
- Experience in communicating key messages, findings, lessons and recommendations to diverse audiences through a range of communication channels, products and activities.
- Experience in designing, implementing, managing and monitoring capacity development interventions, especially in International Finance Institutions.
- Well-developed process management skills to ensure timely delivery of useful evaluation knowledge and communication products of high quality.
- Knowledge and understanding of socio-economic development issues in Africa.
- Have (had) managerial responsibility for the formulation, implementation, supervision and delivery of an appropriate knowledge management and Evaluation Capacity Development work program.
- Experience in direction and supervision of a group of professional and general service staff and consultants (including evaluation of their performance) and the coordination of this work with other departments and related agencies.
- Strategic vision in order to identify relevant means of raising awareness of evaluation findings and influence their use among key audience groups.
- People management skills
- Operational effectiveness
- Innovation and creativity
- Client orientation
- Team working and relationship management
- Attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams).
Application Closing Date
6th August, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This Position is classified International Status and attracts International Terms and Conditions of employment.